Monday, October 23, 2006

Female Led Job #3

I was working as a web site contractor. At the time I was concentrating on graphics and I was hired by another real estate company, this one works more with office buildings. I was to design their maps and presentations for clients interested in investing in their buildings. Many of the top execs at this company were very wealthy millionaires. Most people that worked there lived pretty comfortably. It was one of the most professional places I'd ever worked.

One of my immediate bosses was a woman that was known as one of the best with clients. She racked up several multi million dollar deals and made more for the company than most will ever see in a lifetime. She was very professional and had little tolerance for bad performance. I tried to stay out of her way as much as I could, not because I didn't think I'd measure up, but I'd rather not face her on a bad day. I walked carefully around her.

That was difficult to do because we worked closely together almost every day. I designed much of the plans she intended to show to clients. Though I had the experience and the resume to show for it, she'd talk to me as if I was a child. She didn't question what I knew but spoke to me as if I was bound to make some trivial mistake.

When I presented my work to her she'd look it over and always praise me when she found it up to her standard. I must have beamed from ear to ear whenever she did, which she most likely saw. Perhaps that's why it continued.

She was older, at least in her fifties but she was very fit. I could easily see her as the authority in her house, while her meek husband cowered. One evening, as everyone was closing up I stood in the doorway waiting for her to get off the phone so I could present her with my day's work (the best time of the day for me) and she was on the phone with her husband. She was directing him on how to prepare her dinner. He must have asked too many questions because she grew more and more agitated. Finally, she spat into the phone, "I don't know why I trust you to do anything, you're always screwing it up!" All the while she knew I was listening.

The conversation ended soon after that and she smiled at me, as if scoring a victory. I could tell she was upset so I dropped the work on her desk and made my way out of her office as best I could. She seemed pleased at this and just watched, smiling as I did.

That was the last real encounter I had with her. Soon after that I finished the project and left the company. By that time I was sick of the city and had planned to move. A month later I packed everything I owned and moved to Chicago. I still imagine her every now and then and wonder what her sex life with her husband, whom she berated so openly, was like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home